Of the many unexpected impacts of quarantine and WFH life, one of them has been ditching the bra. An informal (read: Instagram) survey of our users revealed that 73% have been letting the ladies hang loose, and this seems to be a broader trend.
If you’re looking for something to do with those unused bras, we’ve got the ultimate quarantine craft project for you All you’ll need are a pair of scissors, a needle & thread (or two safety pins), and a bra. Behold:
Your 3-step guide to making your very own bra face mask
- Grab your bra. Check that the cup is big enough to cover both your nose and your mouth.
- Make three cuts:
- Once along the inside of the cup, where the bra meets the center gore
- Once along the outside of the cup, where the bra meets the band
- Once where the strap meets the band. If you’re using a convertible-strap bra, you won’t need to make this last cup.
- At this point, you should be left with just your bra cup and a dangling strap. Now, sew (or pin) the loose end of the strap to the opposite apex of the cup. This will wrap around your head, resting above your ears.
And voila! In ten minutes, you’ve just made your very own bra face mask. You can use the other side to make a second mask, or use the extra strap to reinforce your own mask.
Please remember that this is not a medical-grade mask, just something to get you through social distancing responsibly.
Let us know how it goes in the comments!
For more bra how-to videos, subscribe to Missfits’ Youtube Channel.
Founder of Missfits. Relentlessly focused on bras, cycling, intersectional feminism, and sleep hygiene. Get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org